Thursday, February 15, 2007

Thursday Morning Ramblings

C has an ear infection, and was up half of the night screaming. I am trying to wean him (finally), and he wanted his Boo. DH would take him in the other room and cuddle on the recliner, and C would calm down afterwards, but when they came back to bed C would smell be and start crying for his Boo again. I tried getting up, leaving the room and sleeping in the guest room (which surprised Ying) but C wouldn't stop screaming. I finally caved at 2:30 and gave him Boo, but and he slept latched on for the rest of the night, which meant that I didn't get any sleep at all. *Sigh*
This isn't working anymore. I told DH that co-sleeping needs to stop if C thinks that I will be his all night pacifier. When we get the tax refund I want to get him a twin sized bed to go in his own room, so we can lay down with him at night. DH thinks that we can move the toddler bed in his room, but he hasn't yet in the 7 months I have been asking for him to do it.
Weaning C has been an ongoing struggle since Thanksgiving. I know I made the promise to myself to nurse him until he was two, and after that to play it by ear, but now I am regretting nursing him so long. He will be 2 1/2 next month, and is more attached to the boos than I though he would be, but I am so resenting all the nursing we do at night. At least he hasn't attacked me after work the last two nights, and has waited until we were doing the bedtime routine to ask.

On the knitting front, I have 17 edging repeats left on the POTW stole, and should finish it on Saturday. The PBSJ has not seen much action this week, and the arm is taking much longer than I anticipated to knit. I am on row 47, and not even halfway done with the first arm.

1 comment:

Jenny Raye said...

I hope things will get better with the weaning. You might want to wait until he is not sick before giving it a try again. They tend to be even more clingy than usual when not feeling well--won't make the weaning any easier.

It sounds like you are more than ready....you don't want to start resenting your sweet little guy, so take the bull by the horns and do what you need to do to get him weaned. I know I didn't have a decent night sleep until The Terror was weaned at 18 months. He didn't sleep through the night until then either. It didn't take long. He was down to just nursing at bedtime and then at night. More from habit than necessity. You've done a great thing nursing him this long. Sounds like it's time to move on to the next phase. My thoughts are with you :o)