I was closing in on the home stretch of the Cap Shawl last night, when I spread it out to get an idea of how big it was(n't) going to be.
And then I noticed...
8 edging repeats back, over 240 rows, and 4 hours of knitting ago...
I had missed one of the stitches where you attached the edging to the shawl...
and there was a huge hole.
I called DH in from the other room to bring me my tiny crochet hook, and to hold my hand and wind the yarn as I began to frog back.
Progress was slow since I had to recapture the live stitches of the shawl. Some of them laddered back one row, ok most of them, but I didn't care at the time. I had to get to the hole before it became unfixable.
With an occasional pause to put the live stitches back on the needle so I wouldn't have a bigger disaster.
I got to the end and found only one stitch had laddered back, but since it started at an eyelet, I was able to fix it with the hook. I'm going to have to fix the ladders as I work on the shawl, but for now, all is fixed.
In the light of day, it sunk in. I was almost done with the edging, I could have finished it today or tomorrow, instead, I had to rip out two days worth of work.
The Cap Shawl has been flung aside in disgust for now....
I will come back to her soon, but right now the pain is too fresh.
I will spend the rest of the weekend working on Venezia.